About the job
The position is located in the FAO office in Peshawar, KP. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Pakistan focuses its efforts on poverty reduction, food security, sustainable livelihoods and rural development. FAO has partnered with the Government of Pakistan on research and development, training, extension services and strengthening of the staff capacity in planning and policy making. FAO has supported improvements in agricultural policy analysis, strengthened institutions. Enhanced integrated area development and expanded participation of marginalized and vulnerable communities in sustainable development.
The position is envisioned under Livelihood and Food Security Improvement Fund project on SB 4 – SC 8 level.
Under the overall supervision of the FAOR in Pakistan, the guidance of the AFAOR Programme, direct supervision by Senior Project Officer and in close coordination with the Project Team, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks and duties
Implementation of production improvement programme for field crops supported by the Project, identifying suitable crops, varieties and sources of supply of key inputs. Developing effective training methods and modules and delivering training for participating farmers in the field and capacity building with training for FAO and Government staff focusing on agriculture extension, technology transfer and climate change adaptation.
Tasks And Responsibilities
- In close collaboration with the FAO Districts Team Leaders and Field Facilitators, design, support and supervise the implementation of a climate resilient and market-oriented production programme of field crops, identifying suitable crops, varieties and sources of supply of key inputs.
- Support the District teams with specific knowledge and advise on all aspects of the designed field crops development.
- Liaise with relevant departments of Provincial Governments, research institutions and other technical assistance projects to ensure co-ordination and the collaboration required for implementation of the Project’s crop production interventions.
- Guide and supervise the introduction, demonstration and extension of suitable species and varieties for improved crop production in the project communities to increase agricultural productivity from irrigated lands.
- Guide and supervise the Project’s farmer field school (FFS) programme for adaptive research and participatory learning of new and improved technologies and practices to increase the crop production of participating Community Organizations (Cos), including curriculum development, training of master trainers and FFS Facilitators, implementation and monitoring of FFSs.
- Ensure the inclusion of training/capacity building on the use of climate, water and agriculture information in FFS design implementation and monitoring;
- Develop recommendations on the design, site selection, installation and management of adaptive research plots for improved crop production as part of the Project’s FFS programme.
- Develop and supervise the implementation of a training programme on improved crop production strategies and practices suited to the Project’s target areas, including practical training of the Project’s Facilitators, and Government extension staff as trainers in the application of these improved technologies and techniques
- Develop modules for delivering training in the field and capacity building of FAO and Government staff Provide technical support to ensure adoption of internationally accepted innovations and technologies and best practice, such as the introduction of e-agriculture and digitization in agriculture development
- Assist in the Component 3 development of enabling environment including through review of policies, rules and regulations for CRA practices adoption and scaling up
- Contribute to the communication strategy, support awareness campaign and knowledge products
- Contribute to the development of the ACWA portal and a knowledge sharing platform for rural agriculture using ICT-based users’ friendly technology and innovative practices
- Support the awareness-raising, knowledge, technology and innovation transfer activities for agriculture, climate resilient agriculture and On Farm Water Management practices – including the development of gender-sensitive tools and capacity building of key stakeholders as identified in the Project three components.
- Develop, follow up and monitor the implementation of the Farmer Field School activities. Supervise the sound implementation of the FFS days and field demonstrations
- Participate in the evaluation of the technical offers submitted by the service providers.
- Participate to the development of Project Communication Strategy and provide input on agriculture and climate resilient practices.
- Identify lessons learned, good practices and innovative approaches that can be applied, scaled up, or replicated in the project area and outside
- Follow up on the agricultural and Climate Resilient -related objectively verifiable indicators at the outcome, result and output levels and report back to the M&E Officer.
- Work closely with the CTA, M&E unit and other project teams to draft the AWPB, progress reports, final reports and other deliverables identified in the Project Implementation Plan
- Contribute to the knowledge management and dissemination of the project outputs
- Any other related tasks assigned by Supervisor
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in plant/crop sciences, agriculture, agronomy, climate smart agriculture
- Proven experience (minimum 08 years) within the agricultural sector in Pakistan, preferably in crops, including marketing aspects and engagement with the private sector. At least 3 years of practical field experience in Climate Resilient Agriculture (CRA)
- Working knowledge of English, good knowledge of Urdu and local language of KP province
- National of Pakistan
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Expertise in smallholder production systems in arid and semi-arid agro-ecological zones of Pakistan
- Track record experience in crop diversification, preferably in climate smart/resilient crops technologies and practices
- experience in developing manuals, curriculums and IEC materials for agriculture and climate smart enterprises
- Fluency in English and ability to write clear and concise technical documents.
- Good computer skills (word, excel, power point etc).
- Ability to deal with stakeholders from a broad range of backgrounds.
- Ability of working in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment and rural communities.
- Familiarity with UN systems and procedures regarding code of conduct and resource use.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams is essential.
Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
Women with agricultural background are highly encouraged to apply
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
07/Dec/2022, 12:59:00 AM
Type of Requisition
NPP (National Project Personnel)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.