About the job
The position is located in the FAO office in Peshawar,KP. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Pakistan focuses its efforts on poverty reduction, food security, sustainable livelihoods and rural development. FAO has partnered with the Government of Pakistan on research and development, training, extension services and strengthening of the staff capacity in planning and policy making. FAO has supported improvements in agricultural policy analysis, strengthened institutions. Enhanced integrated area development and expanded participation of marginalized and vulnerable communities in sustainable development.
The position is envisioned under Livelihood and Food Security Improvement Fund project on SB 4 – SC 9 level.
Under the overall supervision of the FAOR in Pakistan, the guidance of the AFAOR Programme, direct supervision by Senior Project Officer and in close coordination with the Project Team, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks and duties
The Senior Horticultural Specialist will provide technical expertise on horticulture production and pre and post-harvest management to achieve the outputs for which FAO is responsible under the USAID project in KP, including backstopping to the field teams. The Senior Horticulture Specialist will work collaboratively with horticulture and crop experts from other FAO projects to ensure best practices are adopted throughout the provincial program.
Tasks And Responsibilities
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders including other implementing partners of the USAID funded projects, horticulture variety developers, nursery stock, disease management and harvesting service providers, horticulture product processing businesses, horticulture marketing entities etc.
- Provide specialized technical assistance in the implementation of the project activities and supervision/monitoring of horticulture production methods, disease management and harvesting processes for improving commercial gain;
- Provide technical support in response to the priority needs of community organizations, producer marketing groups, farmer business schools and other groups established or supported under the project;
- Provide capacity building of the FAO field teams in KP in horticulture production and disease management including advice and guidance to the field teams on formation and facilitation of groups in the project targeted area for dissemination of set of sustainable agriculture practices for adaptive research and participative learning in the target districts
- Collect and collate information on horticulture growing, harvesting and marketing conditions in the project areas;
- Draft technical specifications for the procurement of agricultural inputs, and plan the quantities of inputs to be procured under the project;
- Prepare relevant manuals and information, communication and education materials for horticulture producers on the best plantation and field management practices
- Provide hand on assistance during the course of implementation of horticulture producer training program through close collaboration and coordination with the field facilitators;
- Contribute to baseline and end line assessment surveys and analyses of the overall status of the horticulture sector for the areas targeted by the project;
- Assist in the preparation of project reports, case studies, success stories; Contribute to/edit reports, manuals, guidelines, other specialized publications as they relate to animal production, protection, good farming/agronomic practices, producer’s organizations;
- Provide cross-sectoral technical support to other FAO teams and projects in KP;
- Provide technical guidance in the broader areas of the horticulture program and its impact on food security
- Perform any other relevant duties as requested by the Senior Project Officer
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in agronomy, agriculture, horticulture, silviculture, floriculture or related field.
- 8 years’ experience in development projects in the horticulture sector, or private sector horticulture plantations and operations or related fields, and knowledge of the KP fruit and vegetable varieties and production and marketing systems.
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English. Working knowledge of Urdu and Pashtu;
- National of Pakistan.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Previous management experience
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
07/Dec/2022, 12:59:00 AM
Type of Requisition
NPP (National Project Personnel)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.